Clayton Book Launch: A few words from author Margaret Smith

The official party at the Samuel Clayton Book Launch.

Good afternoon everyone. My husband Victor and I are so disappointed that we can’t be with you today. We had been looking forward to it so much and would love to meet you all and to go on the tour of the Baltinglass site.

Little did I know a few years ago when I started researching Victor’s family tree that it would lead to such an interesting story. However, it wasn’t just a ‘story’, it was an insight into our history and yours on a very human level. Despite his crime Samuel Clayton was a man that I came to admire greatly. Both he and his son Benjamin were the type of individuals who built Australia into the wonderful country that it is today. I think Samuel’s descendants in Australia, some of whom are with you today, can be very proud of their heritage.

I would like to thank the Mayor Mr Brian McCormack for launching my book. I would also like to thank Rosemary Spiller and the Gunning and District Historical Society for holding the event. It was a pleasure to meet Rosemary and Bob in Dublin earlier this year and to hear about Bob’s research into his Pilkington ancestors.

Finally my thanks to Perry McIntyre and Liz Rushen of Anchor Books for all their help and work.
Enjoy the afternoon!

Comments