The Noble brothers from Gunning honoured

Poppy and cross and GDHS teaspoon laid on J.O.E. Noble's headstone

At the top of the Gunning Cenotaph on the side facing Yass Street, are the names of Alfred and Joshua Noble. In planning her trip to the European battlefields, their great great niece Sharon Buggy asked Gunning and District Historical Society for an item of remembrance from Gunning.
 
When she visited the Somme Battlefields with her husband in May 2017, she took some GDHS teaspoons featuring Pye Cottage.

Joshua Oswald Earl Noble was born at Ourimbah and is buried in Peronne Communal Cemetery. Alfred Lawrence Noble was born at Boulder Hill, Gunning and is buried at Cite Bonjean Military cemetery, Armentieres. Boulder Hill was on the route of the new railway in 1875, only 8 miles north of Gunning. Both young men enlisted in Goulburn and soon after, their father notified his change of address (as next of kin) as Collector.
The beautifully kept cemetery at Armentieres
Sharon writes:
My husband and I absolutely loved our time in the battlefields of Belgium and France. We were able to visit the resting place of one of my husband's uncles and visit many of the cemeteries and monuments in the area  We attended every 'Last Post' evening whilst we were in Ypres, which still makes me shed a tear when I think of it. 
We went to the resting place of my great uncle Joshua Noble first (see picture above).  We placed our poppy and the gift from the Gunning & District Historical Society at his headstone.  I had such an overwhelming feeling of love, gratitude and loss.

Sharon's note about mixing soil from the two graves

 I so wanted Joshua and Alfred to be united in some way. So I dug a little soil from Joshua's grave, placed it in a bag and then went to pay our respects to Alfred. Again we placed our poppy, the spoon of Gunning, said our thank you's ... then I spread the soil of Joshua's resting place with that of Alfred's. 
I thank the Gunning and District Historical Society for the kind gift to 
Joshua and Alfred Noble.
Sharon and Greg Buggy 


Comments